Four Ways to Help Sell Your Home
Homeowners who are about to put the “for sale” sign in the front yard can feel overwhelmed trying to figure out the best ways to make their home more attractive to potential buyers. Angie’s List shows you four ways to help sell your home fast.
A nationwide Angie’s List poll found:
· In 2010, 21 percent of respondents bought a home; 6 percent bought and sold a home; and 2 percent sold a home.
· In 2011, 7 percent are planning to sell; 3 percent plan to buy; and 2 percent plan to buy and sell – while 9 percent are not sure.
Angie’s List, the nation’s premier provider of consumer reviews, asked its highly rated real estate agents how to make your home appealing to buyers.
Angie’s List 4 Ways to Help Sell Your Home:
- Price it right: Pricing is everything when you are trying to sell your home right now. Buyers know they can negotiate a lot on price. Highly-rated Real Estate Agents on Angie’s List tell us you want to be sure you set your listing price at a level that won’t get you passed over.
- Hire a real estate agent: It’s a big job if you choose to sell your home by yourself. It’s better to get help. Work with a real estate agent who knows your neighborhood and has the skills to market your home. Your agent should design a marketing plan just for you. Get a copy, review it, and make suggestions if appropriate. Check with Angie’s List to see what your neighbors have to say about real estate agents in your area.
- Make repairs: Before you put your house on the market, fix the thing you see as flaws – dirty walls, leaky faucets, stains or things that are obviously in need of repair or really outdated. It’s also important to remember that due to more strict lending guidelines, buyers have to put more money down on their home, so they have less money to spend on repairs and updates.
- Clean up and showcase: The goal is to get potential buyers to see the home as THEIR home – not yours. Sellers should depersonalize the home as much as possible and pack up the clutter – rent a storage space if you need too. A staging company can help make your home appealing if you need help. They eliminate clutter, add or re-arrange furniture and bring in various items that can help spruce up your home. The cost for staging a home typically depends on a variety of factors, including whether you will stage all rooms of the house or just a few.