Police ID suspects involved in chase, shoot-out in St. Louis - KMOV.com

Police ID suspects involved in chase, shoot-out in St. Louis

Posted: Updated:
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson
By KMOV Web Producer By KMOV Web Producer
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson
By Lakisha Jackson By Lakisha Jackson

(KMOV.com) -- Two suspects are out of the hospital and have been charged after an exchange of gunfire following a bank robbery in north St. Louis.

Leo Kent, 57, and Shendrick Sykes, 49, both of St. Louis, have each been charged with 13 counts. Those charges include one count of first-degree robbery, six counts of armed criminal action, five counts of assault on an officer and one count of shooting from a vehicle.

The incident started on Thursday around 9:21 a.m. when police received reports of a hold-up at the Pulaski Bank in the 3700 block of South Grand. According to police, two men in construction vests entered the bank and demanded cash. Witnesses tell St. Louis police that one of the men fired a gunshot in the air. Witnesses also say that one of the men had what appeared to be a hand grenade. No one in the bank was injured.

After getting the cash, the men took off. Moments later, police spotted a green Dodge Dakota pick-up truck with the suspects inside and attempted to pull the vehicle over. The suspects sped away and police followed.

The suspects lead police through downtown St. Louis and into north St. Louis. As police were following the vehicle, the suspects fired multiple shots at the officers. Authorities say the officers had to swerve repeatedly to avoid the gunfire.

At the intersection of Marcus and Lexington, the suspects tried to turn and hit another vehicle. That caused a chain-reaction crash with two police vehicles involved in the pursuit. Police say the suspects then opened fire on the officers. The officers returned fire.

Kent was shot twice in the head and once in each wrist and ankle. Sykes was shot in the hand, buttocks and ankle. He was also grazed in the ear. Both men have been released from the hospital.

A police officer was also grazed in the leg by a bullet. The officer is 42 years old and has been on the St. Louis police force for 12 ½ years. He was taken to Barnes Hospital where he was treated and released.

Bomb and Arson investigators were called to the scene of the crash at Lexington and Marcus. They were called in after reports that one of the suspects had a hand grenade. Investigators located a device inside the suspects’ vehicle and detonated the device at the scene. Authorities are still working to determine if the device was authentic.

Police found two guns and cash inside the suspects’ vehicle. Authorities are still investigating whether this robbery was related to another recent robbery at the Pulaski Bank in Maryland Plaza. In that robbery, the suspects also wore construction vests.

Bond has been set at $750,000 each.

Powered by Frankly