Firefighters give tips on how to stay safe, warm during winter - KMOV.com

Firefighters give tips on how to stay safe, warm during winter

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – The Pattonville Fire District has some tips to keep people safe as temperatures drop.

Firefighters are urging people not to leave space heaters on overnight during the winter months.

“A lot of times they just set it and then they go to sleep or it’s just too close to usually clothes or something in the room or too close to the wall and it heats that stuff and ends up catching on fire and causing problems,” Jeff Kampwert, a member of the Firefighters of Eastern Missouri, said regarding space heaters.

The fire district also is advising anyone who plans to use a fireplace to make sure it is cleaned out first. They also warn that an oven should not be used as a heating source because it can lead to carbon monoxide poising.

 

Powered by Frankly