2 lbs red kidney beans, soaked overnight
2 medium/1 lb/454 g onions, medium dice
2 stalks/5 oz/140 g celery, medium dice
10 cloves/1.4 oz/40 g garlic, minced
184 g/6.5 oz tasso, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 T Creole spice mix
6 thyme sprigs
6 bay leaves
2 lbs 13 oz/1275 g hamhock (whole)
1 gallon chicken stock
1. In a heavy bottom pot, add enough blended olive oil to render the tasso. Then add the onions, celery, and garlic to sweat over medium heat.
2. Add the Creole spice mix, thyme sprigs, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Then add the red beans and chicken stock. Finally add the hamhock and bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Once the pot boils, turn down the heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally to make sure that the beans don’t burn. Cook until the beans are creamy and tender, but not split.
4. Remove the herbs and the hamhock. Take out 1 quart of the red bean mixture and puree in the robot coupe. Return the pureed beans to the pot and stir to allow everything to thicken. Adjust Seasoning with hot sauce, salt, pepper, and creole spice mix if needed.
5. Serve with rice and sliced green onions.