(KMOV) -- A cool night led to a scorching morning in
Firefighters were called to the scene of a four-alarm fire in the Metro-East Thursday morning.
It began around 10:00 a.m. in Wood River, Ill. at a building that houses a hair salon and apartments. The building is at the corner of First Street and Ferguson.
Ashley Asuquo lives on the second floor of the two-story building. She said a space heater in one of the apartments sparked the fire. She said the resident who owned the heater helped her get out of the apartment.
"She banged on my door, I'm right across from her," Asuquo said, "and I opened the door and it was nothing but smoke and flames."
Asuquo did not have time to take any of her possessions and had to run outside "in boxers and a tank top." She was upset her cat did not make it out of the fire.
Janie Gansz owns Janie's Hair Craze on the main level of the building. She was in her salon when the fire erupted.
"I did hear a great big bang," Gansz said. "A gentlemancame running into my building and told me to get out and there is a fire. I didn't believe him so I ran outside to look."
Gansz said she has been told she will be able to go in her salon this evening.
More than two hours after the fire broke out, Asuquo was still in shock.
"You don't think this is going to happen to you then next thing you know you're getting a bang on your because there's a fire and now everything I have is gone," Asuquo said. "Not what I was expecting to wake up to."
No one was seriously injured. One person is reportedly being treated for smoke inhalation.