Candle in child's bedroom blamed in Belleville apartment fire - KMOV.com

Candle in child's bedroom blamed in Belleville apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
By Afton Spriggs By Afton Spriggs
(KMOV) -- Firefighters were called to the scene an apartment fire in Belleville.
 
The fire broke out just after 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday on West Main Street near 19th Street.
 
Authorities say that the fire was caused by a candle burning in a child's bedroom.
 
While the child was asleep, she rolled over and the candle ignighted a pillow.
 
The child's mother came running into the room, grabbed the pillow and tried to put the fire out in the bath tub.
 
As the mother was running to the bath tub, the pillow melted, causing the fire to spread throughout the apartment.
 
Everyone was able to get out of the building unharmed.
 
The building houses an apartment in the top and businesses on the first floor.
 

Powered by Frankly