NEW YORK -- The NHL lockout has forced the cancellation of all games through the end of November.
The NHL announced Friday that 326 regular-season games from Oct. 11 through Nov. 30 were lost—more than 26.5 percent of the schedule. The news came one day after a league-imposed deadline passed for a deal with the players’ association that would allow for a full season.
“The National Hockey League deeply regrets having to take this action,” deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. “By presenting a proposal to the NHLPA that contemplated a fair division of revenues and was responsive to player concerns regarding the value of their contracts, we had hoped to be able to forge a long-term collective bargaining agreement that would have preserved an 82-game regular season for our fans. Unfortunately, that did not occur.
“We acknowledge and accept that there is joint responsibility in collective bargaining and, though we are profoundly disappointed that a new agreement has not been attained to this point, we remain committed to achieving an agreement that is fair for the players and the clubs—one that will be good for the game and our fans.”
The dispute is all too similar to the 2004-05 lockout that led to the cancellation of that entire season—the first time a North American professional sports league lost a complete campaign to a labor dispute.
Reaching a new deal potentially became even tougher Friday, because the NHL pulled off the table its most recent offer to the players—one that included a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues.
“The league officially informed us today that they have withdrawn their latest proposal and have cancelled another slate of regular-season games,” union executive director Donald Fehr said in a statement. “This is deeply disappointing for all hockey fans and everyone who makes their living from hockey, including the players. But it comes as no surprise.”
Whether any of the canceled games can be rescheduled in the event of a quick settlement remains to be seen.
Daly told the AP in an email that if a deal is reached, the league will try to play as many games as possible.
“Having said that, once clubs begin releasing dates and rebooking their buildings, as they will be free to do for the month of November, the process will obviously get more difficult and complicated,” he wrote.
A quick decision on the status of the New Year’s Day outdoor Winter Classic and the All-Star game later in January isn’t expected, Daly said.
Last week, the NHL offered a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenues, which exceeded $3 billion last season, but that proposal was rejected by the union. The players responded with three counteroffers, all of which would get the sides to a 50-50 deal, but the league quickly turned them down.
The NHL proposal was contingent on the league playing a full 82-game season, beginning on Nov. 2, which now won’t happen.
Players earned 57 percent of revenue in the recently expired contract, in which a salary cap was included for the first time. Owners originally sought to bring that number below 50 percent this time around before the most recent NHL offer of 50-50.
Efforts by the players’ association to resume negotiations this week were rebuffed by the NHL because the union declined to agree to start bargaining off the framework of the league’s offer or issue another proposal using the league’s proposal as a starting point.
There is a major divide between the sides over how to deal with existing player contracts. The union wants to ensure that those are all paid in full without affecting future player contracts. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman expressed a willingness to discuss the “make whole” provisions on existing contracts, but only if the economic portions of the league’s offer are accepted first by the union.
“Last week the owners gave us what amounts to a ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ proposal,” Fehr said. “We responded with the framework for three proposals on the players’ share, each of which moved significantly, toward their stated desire for a 50-50 split of HRR, with the only condition being that they honor contracts they have already signed. Honoring contracts signed between owners and players is a reasonable request. Unfortunately, after considering them for only 10 minutes they rejected all of our proposals.”
This lockout, the third of Bettman’s tenure as commissioner, began Sept. 16.
“We have repeatedly advised the owners that the players are prepared to sit down and negotiate on any day, with no preconditions. The owners refused,” Fehr said. “They apparently are only interested in meeting if we first agree to everything in their last offer, except for perhaps a few minor tweaks and discussion of their ‘make whole’ provision.
“The message from the owners seems to be: if you don’t give us exactly what we want, there is no point in talking. They have shown they are very good at delivering deadlines and demands, but we need a willing partner to negotiate. We hope they return to the table in order to get the players back on the ice soon."