Update on the latest in sports:

Print
Email
|

Associated Press

Posted on April 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Updated Monday, Apr 9 at 7:32 PM

MLB-LATEST SCORES

Zito blanks the Rockies...Marlins pound NL East champs

UNDATED (AP) — There was a rare shutout at Coors Field where Barry Zito (ZEE'-toh) twirled a four-hitter for his first shutout in nine years. Pablo Sandoval hit a two-run homer to lead the San Francisco Giants to a 7-0 win over the Colorado Rockies.

Zito hasn't lost to Colorado since Sept. 25, 2008 — a span of nine starts. He allowed three harmless singles and a double. He didn't walk a batter and struck out four in tossing his fifth career shutout and first since April 18, 2003, against Texas.

The lefty worked quickly and efficiently after Sandoval gave him all the support he'd need with a two-run shot over the right field wall in the first inning off loser Jhoulys Chacin (joh-LEES' cha-SEEN').

The Giants avoided their first 0-4 start since 1950.

In other NL action:

In Philadelphia, where the Marlins spoiled the Phillies home opener with a dominating 6-2 victory. Miami starter Anibal Sanchez allowed two runs and six hits over 6 1-3 innings to get the W. Teammate Omar Infante (in-fahn-TAY') led the offense with a pair of solo homers. Two-time All-Star Cole Hamels took the loss. The defeat drops the five-time defending NL East champion Phillies to 1-3, while the new-look Fish improve to 2-3.

In the AL:

— C.J. Wilson won his awaited Angels debut with seven smooth innings, giving Los Angeles all the boost it needed to beat the Twins 5-1 and spoil Minnesota's home opener. Albert Pujols (POO'-hohlz) didn't get a ball out of the infield in four at-bats, but he reached on a fielder's choice and scored the Angels' first run.

MLB-NEWS

Guillen to return to Florida for Castro apology...Troubles for Nats closer

UNDATED (AP) — Marlins manger Ozzie Guillen (gee-EHN') will use Tuesday's off day to travel from Philadelphia to Miami, where he will apologize again for telling a magazine he loves Fidel Castro.

Guillen told Time magazine he loves the Cuban leader and respects him for staying in power so long. The manager said before today's game with the Phillies that he's had sleepless nights because of his comments and wants to make amends. At least two officials in Miami said Guillen should be fired. The chairman of the Florida Hispanic Legislative Caucus called for "punitive measures" against him.

Guillen apologized over the weekend after the story broke last week.

In other baseball news:

— Drew Storen still has discomfort in his pitching elbow and the Washington Nationals closer will be examined by Dr. James Andrews. Nationals manager Davey Johnson says Storen's elbow felt tender after the right-hander threw a simulated game Sunday and admits Storen's sore elbow "doesn't sound good."

— Fenway Park is ready for its 100th birthday on Friday for the Boston Red Sox' home opener. The festivities began Monday when the Harvard baseball team took batting practice to commemorate the first baseball game in the park, an exhibition between the school and the Red Sox on April 9, 1912.

— Atlanta Braves third baseman Chipper Jones took more than 100 swings in early batting practice Monday, a day before he's eligible to come off the disabled list. Jones, who turns 40 later this month, opened his final big league season on the DL following surgery March 26 to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee.

NFL-SAINTS SUSPENSIONS

Saints suspensions stand

NEW YORK (AP) — After hearing their appeals last week, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (guh-DEHL') has upheld the suspensions of Saints coach Sean Payton, general manager Mickey Loomis and assistant head coach Joe Vitt. All three are being penalized for their respective role in the team's bounty scandal.

Payton will sit out the entire 2012 season, while Loomis will miss eight regular-season games and Vitt six.

Goodell also upheld the team's $500,000 fine and loss of second-round draft picks this year and next.

Former New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams did not appeal his indefinite suspension for orchestrating the pay-for-pain scheme. He was hired in the offseason to take over the Rams defense under new head coach Jeff Fisher and will not be working at all this season, maybe longer.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL-BAYLOR-NCAA

Bears under scrutiny

WACO, Texas (AP) — Baylor is acknowledging what it calls a three-year joint investigation with NCAA enforcement staff after a report of rules violations in both the men's and women's basketball programs.

The school issued a statement after ESPN.com reported that coaches made more than12-hundred impermissible calls and text messages to prospects over a 29-month span dating to 2008.

The school did not disclose any details of the investigation, including what sports are involved.

Baylor's women's team won the national championship last week, capping the first 40-0 season in NCAA history. The men's team, coached by Scott Drew, won a school-record 30 games and reached an NCAA regional final, where it lost to eventual national champion Kentucky.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL-MORE NEWS

Robinson ready for next level...Burke staying put

UNDATED (AP) — Thomas Robinson is declaring for the NBA draft and will skip his senior season at Kansas.

The unanimous AP All-American made the announcement with coach Bill Self at his side, one week after the Jayhawks lost to Kentucky in the NCAA title game.

Robinson averaged 17.9 points and 11.8 rebounds per game this season and led the nation with 27 double-doubles, including one against the Wildcats last Monday night.

Also going pro are John Jenkins, the Southeastern Conference's top scorer the past two seasons at Vanderbilt, and Oregon State guard Jared Cunningham is skipping his senior season and entering the NBA draft.

Elsewhere:

— Michigan star Trey Burke says he has "much more to develop as both a student and athlete," so he's remaining with the Wolverines instead of entering the NBA draft. The 5-foot-11 point guard averaged a team-high 14.8 points per game during his recently completed freshman campaign in Ann Arbor. Burke took over at point guard after Darius Morris left early for the NBA following the 2010-11 campaign.

— TCU introduced new basketball coach Trent Johnson Monday. The announcement comes a day after Johnson resigned from the same position at LSU. He replaces Jim Christian, who left TCU after four seasons and is filling the coaching vacancy at Ohio University.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL-ARKANSAS PETRINO

Petrino getting plenty of support from Ark fans

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) — The scandal surrounding Bobby Petrino has divided Razorbacks fans, with many supporting the embattled Arkansas coach.

Petrino was placed on paid leave last week after he admitted he didn't tell his boss immediately about the presence of a 25-year-old female employee during a weekend motorcycle accident. The 51-year-old Petrino, who is married with four children, also admitted to an inappropriate relationship.

A group of Petrino supporters have started a Facebook page and they planned a rally on campus Monday night. The group had approximately 7,000 members Monday morning before reaching nearly 15,000 by the afternoon.

Athletic director Jeff Long says his review into Petrino's conduct is ongoing.

NBA-MAVS-ODOM

AP source says Odom done for the season

DALLAS (AP) — A person familiar with the decision tells The Associated Press that Lamar Odom will not be waived but won't play the rest of the season for the Dallas Mavericks.

Odom told ESPN.com that he and the defending NBA champions decided it's in the best interest of both parties for him to step away from the team.

Odom was the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year last season with the Lakers. He was shipped to Dallas after L.A.'s failed attempt to trade him to New Orleans in the Chris Paul deal that was shot down by the league. Odom's displeasure was evidenced by career-low averages of 6.6 points, 4.2 rebound and 20.5 minutes in 50 games for the Mavs.

NHL-NEWS

Caps hurting in goal...Leafs netminder relieved

UNDATED (AP) — The Washington Capitals have recalled journeyman goaltender Dany Sabourin from Hershey of the AHL. It's an indication that neither Tomas Vokoun (voh-KOON') nor Michal Neuvirth (NOY'-vert) will be ready for the first-round playoff series against the Boston Bruins.

Vokoun remains sidelined with a groin injury and Neuvirth is still nursing an injury to his left leg. Neither was on the ice for practice Monday.

That leaves Braden Holtby as the No. 1 goaltender heading into Thursday's Game 1 at Boston. Holtby played in seven Capitals games this season around call-ups from Hershey.

In other NHL news:

—Canucks leading scorer Daniel Sedin (seh-DEEN') has returned to practice after missing nine games with a concussion, although there is no indication of whether he'll ready to play when Vancouver opens postseason play Wednesday against the Los Angeles Kings. Sedin led Vancouver with 30 goals before being elbowed by Duncan Keith in a loss to Chicago on March 21. Keith was suspended five games for the hit.

— Maple Leafs goalie James Reimer says the injury that prematurely ended his season was neck-related rather than a concussion.

— Canadiens goaltender Carey Price missed the final three games of the regular season with a concussion. Price said he will remain in Montreal until he is symptom-free before heading to his offseason home in British Columbia.

DIVING-OBIT-LENZI

Olympic gold medalist diver Mark Lenzi dies at 43

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) — Olympic diving champion Mark Lenzi has died at 43 in Greenville, N.C.

Lenzi's alma mater, Indiana University, made the announcement Monday. Lenzi's hometown newspaper, The Free Lance-Star in Fredricksburg, Va., said Lenzi had been hospitalized for two weeks after suffering fainting spells. His mother, Ellie, told the newspaper her son's blood pressure was too low.

Lenzi won the 3-meter springboard at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. Four years later, he came out of a brief retirement and won the bronze medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

Print
Email
|