(BaseballStL) -- Don’t expect to see Miguel Olivo behind the plate for the Miami Marlins against the St. Louis Cardinals this weekend -- or ever again.
"I told them I wanted to be released and they wouldn't give it to me," Olive told MiamiHerald.com. "I don't understand why they don't release me. I told them I wanted to be released because I have 30 days of not playing. I need to play."
So what did Olivo do? He decided to make his point by walking out on the Marlins during Friday’s game against St. Louis. The team still didn’t grant him his release from the club, which he has asked for on three separate occasions, according to Olivo. He has been placed on the restricted list instead.
The 34-year-old catcher hasn’t played much since May 15. He has recorded only 15 plate appearances during that time and has started only once since May 12.
This is Olivo’s second stint with the Marlins. He spent the 2006 and 2007 seasons with the then-Florida Marlins before signing as a free agent this spring.
While Olivo’s actions may seem unprofessional, it’s hard to argue with the way he is handling the situation. He is not willing to be relegated to an ‘off-the-bench’ role and has hardly been used otherwise. The team has been using Jeff Mathis and Rob Brantly as the first-string and second-string catchers. It is also frustrating for a player to play for a team that isn’t committed to winning (see: Any transaction of the past decade).
The Marlins entered Saturday with a 20-46 record. Nowhere near a playoff spot, the team will likely trade their most talented player, Giancarlo Stanton, at the trade deadline or at the season’s end. The team also lost a lot of support from its fans last year after putting together a talented roster to play inside their new exotic stadium to only disband it months later.
The Marlins organization has been considered one of the worst pro sports franchises to play for...this is just one example why.
This season, Olivo is batting .203 with four home runs and nine RBI in 33 games (80 plate appearances).