ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Tony Romo has a chance to start for the Dallas Cowboys longer than Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman. The question is whether he will ever match their Super Bowl pedigrees.
Romo signed a six-year contract extension worth $108 million, with about half of that guaranteed to make him the highest-paid player in franchise history. The agreement, reported on the team's website, will lower the quarterback's salary cap number for 2013 by about $5 million, giving the team more room to sign free agents and draft picks.
Romo, who turns 33 next month and was entering the final year of his contract, gets $55 million guaranteed. Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco got $52 million guaranteed in the six-year, $120.6 million contract he signed with Baltimore earlier this month.
Romo could be with Dallas through 2019, giving him a chance to be the starter longer than the 11 seasons of Aikman and seven of Staubach, who was a part-time starter his first four years with the Cowboys.
WASHINGTON (AP) — Tight end Fred Davis re-signed with the Washington Redskins.
A person familiar with the agreement said Davis received a one-year contract after exploring options with the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team did not announce terms of the deal.
Davis might have been one of the most coveted tight ends on the free agent market if he were healthy, but he's recovering from a torn left Achilles suffered in a loss to the New York Giants in October.
CHICAGO (AP) — The Chicago Bears and former New York Jets guard Matt Slauson agreed to a 1-year contract.
Bears General Manager Phil Emery says Slauson's size and strength will make him a challenger for a starting guard position. Slauson, 6-5, 315-pounds, started 48 of 51 games with the Jets. New York drafted him out of Nebraska in 2009.
DETROIT (AP) — Former Detroit Lions great and Hall of Famer Lem Barney filed a discrimination lawsuit against a Detroit health system, alleging he was fired because of his age.
Barney, a defensive back with the Lions in the 1960s and '70s, alleges that his supervisor at Detroit Medical Center once asked him, "why don't you just retire already?" after noting he was in his 60s and made a lot of money playing professional football. The 67-year-old also said he ran afoul of a supervisor by signing too many autographs for fans. Detroit Medical Center officials declined comment.
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) — Detroit Tigers ace Justin Verlander agreed to a $180 million, seven-year contract, topping Felix Hernandez for the richest deal for a pitcher in baseball history.
The 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young Award winner had been signed through 2014 under an $80 million, five-year contract paying him $20 million in each of the next two seasons. The new deal keeps those salaries and adds $140 million in guaranteed money: $28 million each season from 2015-19. It includes a $22 million option for 2020 that would become guaranteed if he finishes among the top five in 2019 Cy Young voting. The deal could be worth $202 million over eight seasons.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Buster Posey is the San Francisco Giants' new franchise man.
The Giants rewarded NL MVP and batting champion with a $167 million, nine-year contract, a deal that includes a club option for 2022 that could raise the value to $186 million over a decade. Posey had been due to make $8 million this year. He instead gets a $7 million signing bonus, with $5 million payable Oct. 15 and the remainder Jan. 15, and his 2013 salary is reduced to $3 million.
He will make $10.5 million in 2014, $16.5 million in 2015, $20 million in 2016 and $21.4 million in each of the following five seasons. The Giants' option is for $22 million with a $3 million buyout. Posey's agreement includes a full no-trade clause.
PHOENIX (AP) — First baseman Paul Goldschmidt and the Arizona Diamondbacks were close to agreement on a $32 million, five-year contract that would run from 2014-18, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.
The deal would include a $14.5 million team option for 2019 with a $2 million buyout, the person said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the agreement had not been finalized. In his first full season last year, Goldschmidt hit .286 with 43 doubles, 20 home runs and 82 RBIs. He agreed in February to a deal paying $500,000 if he is in the majors this season.
SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — Former AL MVP Miguel Tejada made the Kansas City Royals' opening-day roster as a utility infielder.
The 38-year-old is a six-time All-Star who last played in the major leagues in 2011 with the San Francisco Giants. He hit .239 with four homers and 26 RBIs in 322 at-bats. He spent last season with Baltimore's Triple-A team at Norfolk, batting .259 with no home runs and 18 RBIs in 135 at-bats before his release on June 25. The 2002 AL MVP with Oakland, Tejada has a .285 career average with 304 homers and 1,282 RBIs.
HUMBLE, Texas (AP) — Jason Dufner was sitting in a classroom with children for a charity event when he leaned against a wall and zoned out for a minute.
That's all it took for one photo that went viral and made Dufner a Twitter sensation.
Dufner, dressed in a red golf shirt, is shown slouched against the wall at J. Erik Jonsson Community School in Dallas, next to two children who are listening intently to the teacher. His legs are erect, his arms stiff at his side, and he has a vacant look on his face. Dufner is known for showing little emotion, even with a major championship at stake. He looks even more lifeless in this photo.
"Just caught me at a perfect time," Dufner said Friday from Auburn, Ala. "The funny thing about it is the photo taken represents how I act all the time. It was a sheer moment of 'Jason Dufner' by whoever captured the moment for the 30 seconds I checked out."
SAN ANTONIO (AP) — Rory McIlroy is going to play another week in Texas to get ready for the Masters.
McIlroy decided to play next week in the Texas Open, wanting one more tournament to try to find his form ahead of the first major of the year. The two-time major champion has only played five tournaments this year, making just two cuts.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — A deal to loan Mark Martin to Joe Gibbs Racing as a replacement driver for injured Denny Hamlin fell apart, when Michael Waltrip Racing said Martin will fulfill his commitment to its team.
When the dust settled for both teams, Brian Vickers wound up as Hamlin's replacement driver for at least four races. He was already scheduled to drive Martin's car for MWR at Martinsville next week and will keep that commitment, with Martin driving Hamlin's car. Then Martin will go back to MWR, and Vickers will drive Hamlin's car until he's medically cleared to return from a fractured vertebra in his lower back.
The about-face came down from MWR roughly 24 hours after JGR said Martin will take over the No. 11 Toyota until Hamlin returns. He's out at least five races.
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Miami Heat President Pat Riley added another chapter to his rivalry with the Boston Celtics.
After LeBron James complained about calls and Boston Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge chided him for it, Riley lashed back Friday night. Riley's response: "Danny Ainge needs to shut the (expletive) up and manage his own team."
This saga started Wednesday after Miami's 27-game winning streak ended in Chicago. James told reporters that night that he does not believe some of the hard fouls he takes are "basketball plays." A day later, Ainge told Boston radio station WEEI that "it's almost embarrassing that LeBron would complain about officiating."
Riley was clearly irked, calling Ainge "the biggest whiner going when he was a player."
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kobe Bryant is likely to play for the Los Angeles Lakers on Saturday night against the Sacramento Kings despite a bone spur in his left foot.
The Lakers listed Bryant as probable on Friday.
The fifth-leading scorer in NBA history left the Bradley Center using a crutch Thursday following Los Angeles' 113-103 loss to Milwaukee. Bryant has been bothered by the bone spur for several games, and he got treatment on the injury in Sacramento on Friday.
CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) — Citing massive impropriety by the NCAA and how it handled the investigation of Miami's athletic department, the Hurricanes want the case against them thrown out altogether and formally filed a motion — as did three former assistant coaches — to have the case brought to an end, said a person familiar with the situation.
Meanwhile, the NCAA still wants to know if Miami ignored evidence that the former booster at the center of this scandal was providing impermissible benefits to Hurricanes' athletes, coaches or recruits, according to the person, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because specifics of that filing were not released publicly.
In the notice of allegations that was filed last month, the NCAA alleged that some Miami officials essentially looked the other way when presented with evidence of booster Nevin Shapiro's wrongdoing — the heart of the lack of "institutional control" charge.