As Ferguson curfew kicks in, protesters, police square off once more; arrests made


Posted on August 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 18 at 11:39 AM

Scene of Protests

View larger map

FERGUSON, Mo. ( --Tensions continued to rise in Ferguson Sunday night, into early Monday morning as officers again used tear gas on protesters.  

Police said they had no choice but to use tear gas after they said Molotov cocktails were thrown at them.  Police also used sound-blasting technology and rubber bullets to disperse crowds.

In a news conference at 1:15 Monday morning, Captain Ron Johnson said the protest started to turn violent around 8:30 on West Florissant. Around 9:45, St. Louis County Police tweeted that shots were fired at the intersection of West Florissant and Solway.

Watch: Missouri State Highway Patrol news conference following Sunday morning violence

Police said shots were fired at the intersection of West Florissant and Canfield Drive, injuring one man.  When police responded to that scene, several people with guns were in the area.   Shortly after, a female shooting victim was found at the QuikTrip.  That person's injuries are reportedly minor.  At 10:20, police said there were shots fired at West Florissant and Chambers.

A 'Code 2000' was declared by police around 9:30, meaning 50 more officers were requested to respond to the scene.  Earlier in the night, a 'Code 1000' was issued, asking all available officers in the area to respond to the scene.

Johnson said several business were looted on West Florissant throughout the evening, including a Domino's Pizza, O'Reilly Auto parts, Family Dollar, and a Self Storage facility.  The Dellwood Market, in the 1600 block of Chambers Road, was reportedly looted.  Employees at the McDonald's locked themselves in a food storage unit during the looting.

At least seven arrests were made throughout the night.

Click here to view photos from Sunday night: Computer / Mobile

On Saturday night, one person was shot and seven arrested in protests.  The shooting victim was rushed to a hospital in critical condition.

According to authorities, the purpose of the curfew is to protect the residents of Ferguson. However, many residents said they had no intention of obeying the orders of the governor. Saturday night, many people defied the curfew, forcing police to use tear gas and smoke bombs to push back crowds. The curfew is in place from midnight to 5 a.m.

Al Nothum, with the Missouri State Highway Patrol, saysif protesters refuse to leave again Sunday night, officers will not escalate the situation and will do just enough to get them to leave.