Samsung phone battery catches fire, injures man

Samsung phone battery catches fire, injures man

Credit: Getty Images

LAS VEGAS, NV - JANUARY 08: The Samsung Galaxy Note ll is displayed at the Samsung booth during the 2013 International CES at the Las Vegas Convention Center on January 8, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. CES, the world's largest annual consumer technology trade show, runs from January 8-11 and is expected to feature 3,100 exhibitors showing off their latest products and services to about 150,000 attendees. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Print
Email
|

AP

Posted on February 6, 2013 at 10:44 AM

(AP) — South Korean fire officials say a man suffered burns after the battery from a Samsung smartphone caught fire in his trouser pocket.

Officials at Bupyeong Fire Station in Incheon city said Wednesday the lithium-ion battery was not in the phone when it caught fire. Such batteries are quick to charge but prone to overheating.

The man suffered second-degree burns and a one inch wound on his thigh from Saturday's incident.

Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported the battery from the 2011 Galaxy Note exploded but fire officials couldn't confirm that.

Officials declined to identify the man. Samsung said no investigation was planned.

It is the second known time in a year in South Korea that a Samsung smartphone battery has caught fire.

Lithium-ion batteries are behind the worldwide grounding of Boeing 787s.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

Print
Email
|