Many people said the picture restored their faith in humanity: An NYPD cop offering a shoeless man on the streets of Manhattan a pair of expensive boots. An Arizona tourist had snapped the picture of Officer Larry DePrimo on Nov. 14, who was so disheartened by the sight of the man's bare feet while in Times Square, he went to a nearby shoe store to purchase $100 all-weather shoes. The photo and story went viral after the NYPD posted it on their Facebook page. "I went up to him and I said, I was like, 'Buddy,' I was like, 'where's your -- where's your socks, where's your shoes?'"DePrimo recalled. "He was like, 'It's OK, officer, I never had a pair of shoes.'"The man -- originally thought to be homeless, but panhandles while staying at government-subsidized housing in the Bronx -- loved the gift but was too afraid to put the boots on. He said he's hidden them "because they are worth a lot of money and I could lose my life." Still, DePrimo's act of of generosity was pure enough warrant a spot on our list.
- Photos: 75 injured in London's Apollo Theater roof collapse
- Photos: Top-viewed slideshows of 2013
- Photos: Top-grossing actors of 2013
- Photos: You have a better chance of ___ than winning Mega Millions
- Photos: IMDb's top grossing movies of 2013 (so far)
- Photos: News 4's Nick Zervos' 'Tacky' Christmas sweaters