About a year and a half after she survived an assassination attempt in Tucson, former Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords stood atop the French Alps with her husband. Since that day in January 2011, Giffords has faced a long and difficult recovery. She still has some difficulty moving and speaking, but her tenacity continues to inspire many. This photo of Giffords and Kelly, a retired astronaut who has been on his wife's side through incredibly tough times, says it all. It was the first time she ventured outside the U.S. since the shooting.Giffords was an inspiring public figure throughout all of 2012. She stepped down from Congress in January to focus on her recovery, releasing a tear-inducing video about how much progress she has made and receiving a standing ovation when she arrived at the State of the Union. Despite her speech difficulties, she recited the Pledge of Allegiance, word by word, at the Democratic National Convention in September.
- Photos: Cardinals' photo day at Spring Training
- Photos: Chile Volcano eruption
- #LiveStL: Steve Aoki brings Neon Future Experience to STL
- New St. Louis NFL stadium renderings released; new consultants named
- Viewer Photos: Snow hits STL area for third weekend in a row
- PHOTOS: 2015 News 4 Set