Everyone on the internet couldn't stop talking about Marilyn Hagerty, an 85-year-old columnist at the Grand Forks Herald in North Dakota. Her earnest and well-written review of her town's first Olive Garden in March inspired both adoration and snark for giving a common chain restaurant such thorough and often positive comments. Despite the snide and sometime mocking response, many chefs and food enthusiasts ran to the elderly woman's defense. Anthony Bourdain offered to publish a book with her. Others called the review "nostalgic" and said made them want to visit the small rural town.In addition to her newfound recognition, Hagerty's story is great because she rose above the snark. Her daughter urged her to read the Facebook comments on the review, but she declined. "I told her I'm working on my Sunday column and I'm going to play bridge this afternoon, so I don't have time to read all this crap," she told the Grand Forks Herald.
- Photos: Super Bowl Media Day 2015
- Photos: Holocaust Memorial Day at Yad Vashem Museum
- Police release video, photos of burglary following grand jury announcement
- Photos: Big snowstorm pounds northeast
- Photos: 63rd annual Miss Universe Pageant
- Photos: 2015 Screen Actors Guild Awards red carpet