Credit: U.S. Public Interest Research Group
Magnets have made recent headlines over safety hazards, when the Consumer Product Safety Commission went after Buckyballs, a magnetic adult desk toy that some kids have swallowed. Problems caused by the magnets included intestines snapping together; small holes in the stomach and intestines; blood poisoning and other serious injuries. In fact, loose small magnets that fit in the small parts choke test tube are banned for children under 14, with the exception of certain hobby, craft and science kits that contain a warning label.
These $1 snake eggs from GreenBrier International Inc. have an "ellipsoid shape," notes PIRG, making them easy to swallow.