HOUSTON – For the second time in less than 24 hours, a person has died in an overnight house fire, according to the Houston Fire Department.
HFD said it responded to a fire on Roxbury Road at Northdale Street in far southeast Houston around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. Firefighters found light smoke and fire coming from the kitchen area of a one-story home.
Firefighters said there were reports of a person trapped, and they went inside to find a 90-year-old woman unconscious. She was sent to Memorial Hermann Hospital in critical condition where she was pronounced dead several hours later, according to HFD.
Investigators said the elderly woman was cooking and left the food on the stove before she went to her bedroom. The fire was later discovered by the woman’s son, who was at a neighbor’s at the time of the blaze.
On Monday night, a fire broke out at a south Houston home, killing a 66-year-old woman. It's believed a space heater may have been to blame for that fire.