Father of teens accused of vandalizing 93-year-old veteran’s home offers apology

Print
Email
|

by Brad Woodard / KHOU 11 News

KMOV.com

Posted on January 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

HOUSTON – A 93-year-old war hero whose home was burglarized and trashed earlier this week got another surprise Wednesday.

"The father of the two children who broke into my house was here and he apologized," said Wood.

Jose Gonzalez stopped by as Marines, contractors and other volunteers began work on repairing Wood's damaged home.

Gonzalez said he doesn’t know what possessed his children, ages 13 and 16, to vandalize the home.

"It’s like I was telling them: Would they want somebody to do that to their grandparents?" said Gonzalez. "Whether they knew it was an older gentleman’s house or not, they had no business on the premises."

Click here to see photos of the scene.

The boys are accused of stealing several items from Wood’s home and spray-painting graffiti all over it.

Police say they caught the boys red-handed, literally, with spray paint on their hands a short time after the break-in. They were carrying jewelry, cell phones and old coins stolen from Wood’s home.

"It broke my heart when I went into that man’s house and saw what they did," said Gonzalez. "It wasn’t right what they did."

Gonzalez says he wants his sons to be a lot better.

"Well, it helps me understand he’s doing something instead of just forgetting it," said Wood. "And it makes me feel like he’s a little better father than anyone would have guessed."

"He came in and apologized to my dad, and I think it took a lot of guts," said Mark Woods, the victim’s son. "I also think it was the right thing to do."

We can’t release the suspects’ names because they are juveniles.

 

Print
Email
|