Street crews throughout St. Louis region work to clear snow-filled roads


by Brendan Marks / Staff | @BrendanMarks

Posted on February 5, 2014 at 7:39 AM

Updated Wednesday, Feb 5 at 7:39 AM

(KMOV) – St. Louis-area street crews on both sides of the Mississippi River were busy overnight working to clear roads covered by snow that hit the region Tuesday and overnight.

St. Louis Streets Department crews worked 12-hour shifts as about 50 plows threw down salt and brine on city streets, which officials said would be affective due to the moderate temperatures.

Across the river, Illinois State Police Trooper Calvin Dye said high winds and snow drift were making already slick roads even worse.

Click here for the latest traffic conditions

“We’re urging motorists not to exceed about 35 mph and to remain in their lanes,” Dye said.

Dye said the Illinois Department of Transportation was extremely busy overnight, and did an excellent job of plowing the roads. He said the continuous snowfall, though, caused some problems.

“You known once they hit it in one spot that’s whited out, it’ll become back whited out,” he said. “It’s hard to keep up with it with as much snowfall as we’ve had in the past 24 hours.”

The Missouri Department of Transportation also had its hands full, though officials said it was much different than the early-January storm that brought more than a foot of snow to the area.

“We had over a foot of snow last time with that storm and the temperatures were where they got below zero, so that’s one of the toughest situations we had to fight,” said spokesperson Becky Allmeroth.

Allmeroth said the latest snow was not slick for the most part, which made the roads more passable.

“But we need people to remember to take it slow and give yourself plenty of time driving.” She said.

MoDOT said some areas were hit harder than others, with anything north of the St. Louis area seeing more snow.

“Those are the areas that are going to take a couple more hours to clear,” Allmeroth said.

The Missouri Highway Patrol said it had handled 190 crashes and 546 calls for service since Tuesday’s storm hit. But it had only had 16 calls for service and five crashes since 12 a.m.