CASEYVILLE, Ill. (KMOV) – A 2-month-old girl was hospitalized after a fire believed to be started by a cigarette started inside a Caseyville mobile home Friday morning.
Police said the infant’s grandmother had just removed her oxygen mask to light a cigarette when the fire started in the 100 block of Southern Drive in Hollywood Heights around 12 a.m. Authorities said the oxygen helped start the fire.
The infant, identified as Jayla Hopson, was sleeping alongside the grandmother in bed when the fire started. The other occupants, the child’s mother and siblings, were not home
According to the child’s aunt, the 2-month-old suffered severe burns her left arm, hand and side. She was taken to an area hospital, where she remains in critical but stable condition.
According to the hospital, Hopson has burns on over 10 to 12 percent of her body.
Laura Tucker, Hopson’s mom, did not want to talk to News 4, but issued a statement regarding her daughter’s burns.
“My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened,” Tucker said. “Immediately after she realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor’s house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time.”
The grandmother was not injured in the fire.
Authorities are still investigating.