Massive blaze destroys Madison County business

Print
Email
|

by Evita Caldwell & Stephanie Baumer / KMOV.com staff

KMOV.com

Posted on February 11, 2014 at 5:39 AM

Updated Tuesday, Feb 11 at 8:14 AM

Granite City firefighters battle late night blaze

View larger map

(KMOV.com) – A massive fire left a Granite City business in ruins late Monday night.

Multiple fire departments responded to the 1400 block of Madison Ave. around 11:25 p.m. and found a business engulfed in flames.

Click here to see photos from the scene

Firefighters battled the blaze for hours and continued to pour water on it through the overnight hours. 

Officials say the building is a total loss and cars parked nearby were also destroyed when the wall off the business collapsed and burned.

The brutal cold temperatures made matters worse, as News 4 cameras captured crews' helmets completely covered in ice, with icicles forming on every surface.

Granite City Fire Chief Tim Connolly says slips and falls always become an issue in the conditions. 

"We have a lot of fire underneath so we're just kind of letting some of that burn right now so we cn get to it," Connolly said overnight. "We don't want to just throw water on top of it because that doesn't do any good. We've lost one hydrant, the building collapsed on one of the hyrdrants." 

The owner of Kramden's, a bar next door, stayed open through the night to warm up fire crews and provide them hot chocolate.

No injuries were reported. 

Print
Email
|