Hand sanitizer, static electricity may have sparked fire that caught girl on fire

Print
Email
|

by Mike Benner / KREM.com

Belo Affiliate

Posted on February 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Updated Wednesday, Feb 20 at 11:08 AM

PORTLAND -- Hand sanitizer and static electricity may have created a fire that burned a girl earlier this month at an Oregon children's hospital

Doctors have been treating an 11-year-old girl after she caught fire in her hospital bed, as first reported in the Oregonian. The mishap was Feb. 2 at Doernbecher Children's Hospital.

Ireland Lane, 11, was in the hospital after falling and hitting her head at her Klamath Falls home. She was reportedly making crafts for the nurses when she ran into the hallway engulfed in flames.

"That this would happen anywhere, much less our hospital, was just awful," said Stacy Nicholson, M.D. of Doernbecher Children's Hospital. "Our hearts go out to the child and her family."

Ireland's father Stephen, who was asleep in the room at the time, ran into the hallway and jumped on his daughter to smother the flames.

The state fire marshal has been investigating the incident. The cause is unknown, but one scenario involves the static electricity and flammable hand sanitizer.

Nicholson says what happened was unusual. He said the hospital plans to make changes if investigators determine the hospital was at fault.

In the meantime, Ireland has a long recovery ahead.

She suffered third degree burns to 18 percent of her body. Doctors at Legacy Emanuel Burn Center were treating her.

Ireland's mom Danielle is confident that she will be okay.

"She has her faith."

 

Print
Email
|