Police use GPS to find car driven by mother of abandoned infant


by KMOV.com staff


Posted on January 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Updated Monday, Nov 25 at 2:49 PM

4400 Elmbank Ave St Louis, MO 63115

View larger map

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) — Authorities have located the car of a woman whose healthy baby boy was left abandoned in the interior hallway of a St. Louis County apartment building.

According to police, 30-year-old Ebony Jackson's white 2004 Mitsubishi Galant was found sometime Tuesday morning in the 4400 block of Elmbank in north St. Louis.

Police said the car was found using a GPS device. According to police, the device is installed in vehicles to allow it to be located if payments are not made.

Authorities said they had to get a court order to get info from the car dealership in order to track it.

Family members at the scene Tuesday afternoon were staying optimistic. But no one seems to know why Jackson would have been in the north St. Louis neighborhood.

“I don’t know how that car got there. I’m not even sure Ebony has anything to do with the car being there,” said her cousin, Jessie Mosley.

Police were not sure how long the car has been parked there. But some neighbors say it’s been several days.

Family members hope there are clues inside the car that will lead investigators to Jackson.

“Now we know there’s no doubt she was in the St. Louis area. That removes that doubt that was planted there,” said Mosley. “It’s just another step in finding her. We’re just getting closer to finding her.”

But Mosley added the location of the car was strange.

“It’s just totally out of character for her to be in a neighborhood like this. Even the car being in a neighborhood like this,” she said.

The car, which was missing its rear license plate, was towed away to be processed by St. Louis County police.

The child, 3-month-old Donovan Prom, was found 5 a.m. Friday at the Hickory Trace apartment complex in Breckenridge Hills. The hallway was fully enclosed so the child was shielded from the cold morning. He was in a car seat, with a blanket over him and a bottle of milk by his side. A resident of the complex found the child as he was going to work and called police.

Relatives say Jackson, Donovan’s mother, and her boyfriend, Craig Prom, both lived in Oklahoma City. Jackson is a native of East St. Louis, Ill.

Paternity tests are pending and Breckenridge Hills detective Jeff Heisse said the child won’t be turned over to Prom until he is confirmed as the father. For now, the boy remains in state custody.

Meanwhile, relatives fear Jackson, 30, could be the victim of foul play, though Heisse said police have not found any signs of a struggle. She left Oklahoma on Wednesday to visit relatives in the St. Louis area, but hasn’t been heard from since Thursday.

Relatives spent hours Sunday searching for clues around the apartment complex, placing “Missing” posters with Jackson’s photo on trees and walls. Her story was also posted on the website hopeforallmissing.org.

Relatives told police that Jackson has had several surgeries on her brain and suffers from impaired memory, even jotting notes to herself so she’ll remember things. The reason for the brain surgeries wasn’t clear.

Heisse said neither Prom nor Jackson had any known connection to the apartment complex. He said there was no video surveillance there, and surveillance cameras at neighboring businesses were not pointed in that direction.

No residents at the apartment complex heard anything. Family members said police were also checking phone records to see who she called and where her phone was before she disappeared.

Authorities aren’t even sure exactly when the baby was dropped off—Heisse said it was between 10 p.m. Thursday and when the child was discovered seven hours later.

Jackson’s aunt Jackie Simon told News 4 Jackson’s family is very disappointed with. Jackson said up until Monday,  the family believed the investigation was focused on the abandoned baby and not on Jackson’s disappearance. Simon says her son spoke to police providing them with a timeline as to what Jackson was doing prior to her disappearance including who she saw and who spoke to on the phone. Jackson says the police did not follow up after receiving this information.

Linda Lawson, a family friend, told News 4 she went to the Breckenridge Hills Police Department headquarters on Monday to convey the family’s frustration. Lawson says there had been a communication breakdown between the family and police. Lawson said the family now believes investigators are up to speed on what is going on.