(KMOV.com) -- A 14-month-old boy was killed after a fire swept through a home in north St. Louis early Wednesday morning.
According to authorities, the infant boy was home with two adults and another child when the fire started near the intersetion of 25th and Glasgow around 2:20 a.m.
The adults and one toddler were able to escape, but fire spread too quickly; surrounding the room where the infant was sleeping.
The family was unable to get to the child, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
"He was a wonderful child to be around," said the grandfather of the victim. "He brought a lot of joy to the family.
The grandfather spoke to News 4 and said his son, the victim's father- now in the hospital being treated for burns- tried to save the child.
"All he keeps talking about is he couldn’t get to the baby and he’s blaming himself," he said.
Officials say the house did not have a working furnace, forcing the family to use multiple space heaters to heat the home. Crews say they also did not find smoke detectors, which may have delayed their escape from the flames.
Authorities determined the cause of the fire to be accidental based on an initial investigation.