Suspect charged with robbery, kidnapping after home invasion in High Ridge


by staff

Posted on December 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Updated Thursday, Oct 24 at 3:41 AM

Home invasion, kidnapping

View larger map

HIGH RIDGE, Mo. ( – A Jefferson County man has been charged with multiple felonies after police say he broke into a couple’s home, assaulted them, kidnapped a woman and then ran from police Monday morning.

Derrick Stewart, 34, was charged with two counts of robbery, five counts of armed criminal action, two counts of kidnapping and one count of assault on a law enforcement officer. He is being held without bond in Jefferson County.

Authorities say the incident started when Stewart stormed into a home on Wild Valley Road, just off Antire Road, and assaulted a man and woman inside. During the assault, Stewart reportedly pistol whipped the man and tied him up. Police say Stewart then held the woman at gunpoint and made her drive to a jewelry store on Gravois Road that the victims own.

While the suspect and the kidnapped victim were en route to the store, the male victim called 911 to report what had happened.

Officers responded to the couple's store because they believed Stewart and the female victim were headed to that location.

Authorities said officers spotted the vehicle as it neared the store. According to reports, Stewart was making the woman drive the car at gunpoint. Officials say he told her to keep driving when he saw police posted at the store. Officers pursued the vehicle, and called in a police helicopter to aid in the chase.

As the pursuit neared the intersection of Williams Creek and Hillsboro Valley Park roads in Jefferson County, officers deployed a spike strip that disabled the vehicle.

When the vehicle came to a stop, Stewart reportedly exited the vehicle and fired shots at police. Police returned fire. Neither the suspect nor police officers were struck.

Police continued to pursue the suspect on foot. As the officers neared the suspect, they shot him with a Taser, then tackled him. Stewart was arrested at the scene.

Both victims were taken to an area hospital, but have since been released.