2 Florissant schools evacuated after smoke, gas detected

Print
Email
|

by KMOV.com staff

KMOV.com

Posted on October 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Updated Monday, Oct 28 at 6:42 PM

(KMOV) – Two separate Ferguson-Florissant schools were evacuated on Monday.

Authorities say electricians were repairing wiring at Cross Keys Middle School at 14205 Cougar Dr. around 7:50 a.m. when a fuse was blown.

Students were evacuated from the building as a precaution while firefighters investigated. Everyone was allowed back into the building around 8:40 a.m. but only about 66 percent of the building had power due to the electrical issue. All power was restored about 20 minutes later.

No injuries were reported.

Meanwhile, staff was evacuated from next door Wedgewood Elementary after someone detected a gas odor around 8:15 a.m. Fire department and facility staff investigated and found four pilot lights were out in the kitchen.

Laclede Gas was notified and crews reignited the pilot lights.

Everything was back to normal by about 9:05 a.m.

Print
Email
|