Settlement reached between Ritz-Carlton, family in lawsuit

Print
Email
|

by Adam McDonald / KMOV.com staff

KMOV.com

Posted on August 4, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Updated Monday, Aug 4 at 11:04 PM

(KMOV) – A settlement has been reached between the Ritz-Carlton hotel in west St. Louis and the family of a nine-year-old who had an unknown man climb in bed with her in 2011.

The details of the settlement have not been released, but the family was asking for more than $5 million dollars in punitive damages.

The incident occurred at a Clayton Ritz-Carlton Hotel in 2011 when 45-year-old Daniel Hughes entered the wrong room while intoxicated after he said the front desk gave him the wrong key and got into bed with the nine-year-old.

Police say the girl eventually alerted her parents, who were sleeping in an adjoining room. They chased Hughes from the room and he was later apprehended in the hotel lobby by Clayton police.

According to Clayton police, Hughes said he thought the child was a woman he'd met earlier in the night while drinking.

Hughes was acquitted of criminal charges in early 2014. 

Print
Email
|