(KMOV) -- Child safety experts are warning shoppers to be on the lookout for dangerous toys this holiday season.
Safe Kids St. Louis coordinator at Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center, Cathy Hogan told News 4, “I think the biggest thing about toy safety at Christmas time, especially for people who are not used to buying for children, maybe it’s an aunt or a cousin that’s buying for a small child, they need to make sure the toy is appropriately aged for the child.”
The number one concern is the choking hazard posed by parts that are too small for young children.
As a rule of thumb, if a toy or parts to a toy can fit into a toilet paper roll, then it’s too dangerous for a child that’s three years of age or younger.
Also, parents need to be aware that toys made before new lead content rules took effect in August of 2011, could have unsafe levels of lead. And they warn about the dangers of children swallowing magnets. Last year there were 1700 hospitalizations in the U.S. caused by internal damage from swallowing magnets.
Here’s a link to more information on toy safety during the 2012 holiday shopping season.