Police: Man arrested after shooting at St. Louis County officer, chase on I-44


by KMOV.com staff


Posted on January 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 4 at 9:28 PM

Pursuit in Valley Park

View larger map

(KMOV) -- Police say a man shot at a St. Louis County officer multiple times, leading to a pursuit that shut down a section of Interstate 44 in west St. Louis County on Tuesday.

Authorities said an officer with the St. Louis County Police Department attempted to pulled over a Jeep Cherokee with Missouri license plates for speeding on eastbound Interstate 44 in Eureka.

Police said the 36-year-old occupant pulled over. But as the officer got out of his vehicle, three to five shots were fired through the back windshield and into the officer’s car. The suspect then sped away.

The pursuing officer was joined by members of the St. Louis County Tactical Unit, or SWAT team, that happened to be training as the chase sped by.

Police said the suspect was armed with a semi-automatic handgun when they tried to stop him for questioning.

The officer gave chase, which ended after the suspect lost control of the Jeep and struck the median on I-44 about one mile west of Highway 141.

Police said the suspect initially refused to get out of the Jeep, but eventually exited after being talked out by other officers who responded to the scene.

The suspect was taken into custody.

The 36 year old man had been in Federal Prison on a weapons conviction from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

"Firing at an officer just for speeding, it seems like there's more to this than meets the eye?” said St. Louis County Police officer Randy Vaughn.  “I'm not aware of this gentleman's history now, clearly he had a reason for doing this it's not logical, but he felt he had a reason and we'll find it out before it's all said and done."



Police speculated the man may have panicked after being stopped for speeding with a gun in the Jeep.


Nobody was injured in the incident.


Traffic in both directions of I-44 was shut down in the area while crews worked to clear. Two lanes in both direction were open by about 2:15 p.m.

According to police, the suspect was a convicted felon who had already spent time in federal prison on unknown charges.