Officials: No link between formula and infant death

Officials: No link between formula and infant death

Credit: AP

This photo provided Thursday, Dec. 22, 2011, by the Holman Howe Funeral Home, shows Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo., who died Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011. Federal health agencies are testing samples of liquid and powdered infant formula and some distilled water used to prepare the powder by the Missouri parents of a 10-day-old boy who died from an apparent bacterial infection. Cornett died Sunday night after he was fed Enfamil Newborn powder bought at a Walmart store in Lebanon, Mo. The store has stopped selling the product, and the company pulled a batch of the infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores nationwide. (AP Photo/Holman Howe Funeral Home)

Print
Email
|

KMOV.com

Posted on December 28, 2011 at 7:33 AM

(KMOV.com) -- Health officials are still looking for the source of a rare bacteria that killed a Missouri infant and has now sickened two others.
 
The rare bacteria is named Cronobacter and three cases have popped up in recent weeks.  The first case happened in Lebanon, Missouri and killed an infant.  Another case was discovered in Illinois and the infant is recovering in a hospital.  Now, a third case has been uncovered in Oklahoma.
 
The mystery of how these babies are contracting the infection is growing.  In Missouri, the infant had recently consumed Enfamil formula, but health officials could not confirm the formula was the source of the bacteria.  Thousands of Walmart stores pulled the formula from their shelves after reports that the Missouri infant died.
 
In the newest case in Oklahoma, health officials said the infant never drank Enfamil.  The child is less than a month old and has already been treated and released from the hospital.
 
A federal investigation will continue into the Enfamil formula, but so far, there is no link between the illness and the formula.

Print
Email
|