More than 300 get food poisoning at Franklin County wedding event

Print
Email
|

by KMOV.com staff

KMOV.com

Posted on May 15, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Updated Thursday, May 15 at 5:38 PM

(KMOV.com) -- Franklin County health officials say more than 300 people got food poisoning after eating gravy at a wedding reception in April.

Tony Buel of the Franklin County Health Department says about 750 people attended the April 5 wedding event at the Sullivan Eagles Hall. 

About 100 people reported getting sick to the health department. Some of them knew others who got sick and it was later estimated about 300 people were ill.

Officials tested food and stool samples, which tested positive for Clostridium perfringens, a common foodborne illness.

Buel told News 4 the illnesses were caused when the gravy took too long to cool. That allowed bacteria to grow and put toxins in the food, Buel said.

The caterer, which has not been identified, was inspected by health officials and deemed clean. The business was not penalized, but was given an education session on proper cooking processes.

 

 

Print
Email
|