Kids sickened after mistaking laundry detergent for candy

Kids sickened after mistaking laundry detergent for candy

Kids sickened after mistaking laundry detergent for candy

Print
Email
|

by KMOV.com staff

KMOV.com

Posted on May 25, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Updated Friday, May 25 at 2:48 PM

(KMOV.com) -- Recently, concerns have been raised over concentrated laundry pods after children have reportedly mistaken them for candy.

Poison control centers say they are getting reports of kids getting sick after ingesting the pods.  Twenty-five case have been reported in Missouri and 26 in Illinois.  A total of 250 cases have been reported throughout the country.  The pods are appealing to children because they are small and colorful.
 
Health experts say the pods are appealing to children because they are small and colorful.  Symptoms are a lot worse than regular detergent poisoning, they add. Vomiting and unresponsiveness are possible symptoms in children who have ingested the packets.  In one case, a child had to be placed on a ventilator.
 
Health officials say the best thing parents could do is to keep the packets out of reach of children.

 

Print
Email
|