Deadline for St. Louis officers to turn in cell phone records extended again

Print
Email
|

KMOV.com

Posted on March 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Updated Tuesday, Mar 29 at 12:11 PM

(KMOV) -- The deadline for four St. Louis officers to turn in their cell phone records to the police department has been extended again.

According to Jeff Roorda with the St. Louis Police Officers' Association the deadline has been extended to noon on Friday, April 1st.

Earlier this month, a U.S. Marshal died and another Marshal and police officer were wounded in a south St. Louis shooting. The suspect, Carlos Boles, was shot and killed by police. A cell phone photo of Boles' dead body was taken and forwarded to several phones.

The cell phone records were requested after a St. Louis officer admitted to taking the photograph of Boles' and sending it to others.

The police officers requested a temporary restraining order to protect their phone records from the St. Louis Police Department. 
 
An attorney for the officers says that if they do not turn them over, they could be fired. He also says the cell phones are in the names of the officers’ wives and other family members. The officers say the department is attacking their fourth amendment right, which guards against unreasonable search and seizure.
 
There will be an injunction hearing in this case on Thursday, March 31, at the federal courthouse in St. Louis.
 

 

Print
Email
|