Infant severely burned in fire started by cigarette still recovering at Shriner's burn unit

Print
Email
|

by KMOV.com Staff

KMOV.com

Posted on January 15, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Updated Thursday, Oct 24 at 2:52 AM

CASEYVILLE, Ill. (KMOV) – A 2-month-old Caseyville girl who was severely burned after a fire was allegedly started by a cigarette continues to recover at an Ohio hospital.

The mother of Jayla Hopson says her daughter is now in the burn unit at Shriner’s Hospital in Cincinnati. Hopson sustained second- and third-degree burns to her left arm and side from a fire started when her grandmother removed her oxygen mask to light a cigarette in the 100 block of Southern Drive in Hollywood Heights on Friday.

Hopson was sleeping alongside the grandmother in bed when the fire started. Hospital officials said 10 to 11 percent of her body was burned.

Laura Tucker, Hopson’s mom, issued a statement regarding her daughter’s burns after the incident.

“My mom is absolutely devastated over what happened,” Tucker said. “Immediately after she realized what happened, she ran to a neighbor’s house for help. Our family would appreciate prayers at this time.”

The grandmother was not injured.

Print
Email
|