(KMOV) -- Many house fires are easily preventable. Heat-Up St. Louis, a non-profit advocacy organization, is trying to cut down the number of St. Louis fires this winter, by informing residents of the best methods to heat a home.
The organization says many fires are caused by small space heaters, which are convenient but not as safe as a furnace. Heat-Up St. Louis says people unknowingly place electric heaters in combustible areas of the home, which can lead to deadly fires.
The advocacy group says they want to help low-income residents or seniors who plan on using alternative heating sources, like a space heater, to call their number 314-241-7668 for utility assistance.
For more information on safer heating methods or how to help Heat-Up St. Louis, go to www.heatupstlouis.org .