(KMOV) – A firefighter was injured at the scene of a first alarm fire in the Vandeventer neighborhood on Friday.
Fire crews were called to a blaze in the 4200 block of W. Evans around 2:00 p.m.
Officials say the first floor of the two-story brick building was engulfed with heavy fire. Firefighters told News 4 the house had been occupied by 10 people who had there lived without utilities, but those residents were recently evicted.
Firefighters said the closest fire hydrant was not working so they had to move down the street to find a water source. Authorities said the firefighter was injured when he fell through a floor inside the home.
"In the process of fighting the fire, one firefighter fell through the first floor and sustained moderate injuries. He was then taken to a nearby hospital," Captain Garon Mosby said.
Fire investigators said they believe the fire is suspicious.