(KMOV.com) -- Multiple crews responded to a fire that badly damaged a home in unincorporated St. Louis County on Saturday night.
Firefighters were called to the 8500 block of Kathleen Ave. around 7:30 p.m.
Upon arrival, the residence was found engulfed in flames. Crews were able to extinguish the fire, but the garage and right side of the home suffered extensive damage.
Affton fire officials said the homeowner reported having a bonfire on Friday night, then throwing the ashes from the fire into a trashcan in the garage. Authorities said the fire is believed to have started in the garage, then spread upward into the house.
"A lot of people need to realize with their bonfire, just overnight is not going to take care of the embers," said Jim Fritz, Affton fire chief. "They just need to leave it outside, put it in a metal container and leave it away from the house or any combustibles."
A man and woman, along with three family pets, were not injured in the fire.
One firefighter was taken to the hospital with chest pains, but officials said his injuries did not appear to be related to the fire.
Stay with News 4 and KMOV.com for the latest updates.