DOJ probes Quinn’s anti-violence program after slush fund allegations

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

KMOV.com

Posted on May 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Updated Friday, May 2 at 6:59 AM

CHICAGO -- Federal prosecutors have asked Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka for information related to a troubled anti-violence program started by Gov. Pat Quinn in 2010.

Topinka spokesman Brad Hahn says Thursday that the office was contacted by the U.S. Department of Justice in late March asking for details related to the Neighborhood Recovery Initiative Program and the information was turned over.

He declined to give details citing a legal issue.

Quinn spokeswoman Brooke Anderson said Thursday that Quinn’s administration hadn’t been contacted by federal officials.

Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez’s office has already subpoenaed Quinn’s Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity for documents related to the anti-violence program Quinn spearheaded.

Earlier this year state auditors found “pervasive” problems with management and spending.

The Chicago Sun-Times first reported the federal involvement.

Print
Email
|