EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. (AP) -- A 24-year-old woman who died at a southwestern Illinois hospital two months ago died of an accidental heroin overdose.
The Belleville News-Democrat reports that Madison County's coroner made that finding Tuesday after receiving results of testing on blood samples taken from Amanda Gerhardt of Edwardsville.
Authorities say Gerhardt was found unconscious Nov. 6 on a bathroom floor in her boyfriend's Collinsville home. She later died at a hospital.
The coroner says Gerhardt also had codeine and marijuana in her system.
Gerhardt's mother told investigators she was unaware of her daughter's heroin use.
Police are still investigating.
Gerhardt was one of 56 people who died of suspected drug overdoses last year in Madison County, with heroin playing a role in about half of those deaths.
Information from: Belleville News-Democrat, http://www.bnd.com