(KMOV.com) – A 10-year-old St. Louis boy is getting a second surgery Monday after he lost four fingers in a fireworks accident in north St. Louis on Friday night, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
Martinez Smith-Payne was hurt Friday night when he lit a firework while holding it in his left hand in the 5500 block of Genevieve around 8 p.m.
The boy’s mother, Frances Smith, says her son was with his brother in a field near the family’s house when they found the firework.
The boy is hospitalized in good condition at St. Louis Children’s Hospital. Smith says her son is “in good spirits.” Although he lost four fingers, he still has use of his thumb.
Police say the bomb and arson unit is investigating.