Neighbor helps 2 residents escape apartment fire in Alton

Print
Email
|

by Kaitlin Riordan / KMOV.com

KMOV.com

Posted on July 15, 2012 at 4:23 AM

Updated Wednesday, Oct 16 at 8:34 PM

ALTON, Ill. (KMOV.com) -- An alert neighbor was able to wake up two of the three people inside a burning apartment building in Alton on Saturday night.

The neighbor reportedly stepped outside her home in the 600 block of East 7th Street to have a cigarette around 11 p.m. when she noticed flames in a nearby building's bedroom window. She alerted two of the building's residents, a woman and her fiancé, but smoke was too heavy to reach the resident's mother.

The mother, a woman in her 70s, was later rescued by firefighters and taken to an area hospital. She was then flown to Mercy Hospital and is currently in the burn unit with smoke inhalation and some burns.

Her condition is stable, and family members say she could be released from the hospital on Monday.

The residence is a home built in 1858, and later separated into a three-unit apartment building. The fire reportedly started on the ground floor of the building.

Fire officials have not confirmed a definite cause for the blaze.

Print
Email
|