Two firefighters, civilian injured after explosion at North Texas duplex

Print
Email
|

by STEVE STOLER & MARJORIE OWENS

WFAA

Posted on January 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Updated Friday, Jan 11 at 3:38 PM

LEWISVILLE - At least one person was injured in an explosion at a duplex at 520 East Main Street in Lewisville.

Several blocks around the site were evacuated as a precaution and at least one person was transported to a nearby hospital with unknown injuries. Two firefighters were also transported to nearby hospitals after receiving injuries while battling the subsequent fire.

The explosion, which was reported at about 12:30 p.m., left behind massive debris in the nearby street and blew off window screens at several nearby structures. Firefighters from Lewisville, Carrollton and The Colony worked together to battle the fire.

Ron Batts, the president and CEO of Christian Community Action, confirmed the duplex was owned by the non-profit. CCA also owns 26 other units that serve as low-income housing in the area.

Batts said CCA is working to provide shelter for anyone displaced by the explosion.

Witnesses at the scene said there was a gas leak at the site of the explosion reported earlier in the day. The witnesses said firefighters, along with Atmos Energy workers, closed down part of East Main Street as they worked on the leak.

 

 

Print
Email
|