(KMOV.com) – Multiple fire departments worked to put out a blaze that ripped through a Madison County home early Monday.
Firefighters were called to the scene in the 1300 block of 12th St. near Wood River around 2:30 a.m. Upon their arrival, they found a home engulfed in flames.
Crews worked for several hours and had the blaze under control by about 7 a.m.
According to officials, several pets were rescued from the unoccupied house.
Neighbors told News 4 the family had been staying at a hotel as work was being done to fix a smoke-related issue they had a few weeks ago.
One of the neighbors says he discovered the fire after waking up to the sound of propane tanks exploding in the backyard. That family got out of their house as the fire started to spread.
No injuries were reported.