Company operating near deadly KC blast had no permit

Company operating near deadly KC blast had no permit

Company operating near deadly KC blast had no permit

Print
Email
|

by KMOV.com Staff

KMOV.com

Posted on February 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Updated Monday, Feb 25 at 3:52 PM

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Kansas City officials say a cable company subcontractor suspected of rupturing a natural gas line before a deadly restaurant explosion didn’t have an approved permit for the work.

Subcontractor Heartland Midwest didn’t immediately respond to Monday’s report from city officials.

A Missouri Gas Energy official has said that Heartland Midwest reported hitting a natural gas line with an underground borer more than an hour before Tuesday night’s explosion. The blast and ensuing fire leveled JJ’s restaurant near a busy outdoor shopping area called the Country Club Plaza. One person was killed and 15 others were injured.

Four of the injured remained hospitalized Monday at the University of Kansas Hospital, including one person who was in critical condition.

Heartland Midwest said last week that it’s cooperating with authorities.

Print
Email
|