(KMOV.com) – Firefighters tell News 4 they are worried they will see an increase in carbon monoxide poisoning cases because of the extremely cold temperatures throughout the area.
Firefighters say that due to the cold weather many furnaces have been pumping nonstop which can lead to an overload of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be very dangerous when it accumulates in a poorly ventilated space.
Thousands of people die from carbon monoxide poisoning in the U.S. every year. An increase in cases is seen when temperatures are very low.
Some tips to stay safe from carbon monoxide positing include:
Making sure vents are clear from snow drifts or debris
Have a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home
Place an extra detector near any gas burning furnaces or water heaters.