Father: Suspect shot by Rock Hill police 'suffered mental breakdown'


by KMOV.com staff


Posted on September 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Updated Saturday, Nov 23 at 6:18 AM

Police officer fatally shoots suspect

View larger map

ST. LOUIS COUNTY, Mo. (KMOV) -- A home invasion suspect was shot and killed by police after officers say he pointed a gun at them. The suspect father told News 4 his son suffered a "mental breakdown."

The incident happened at a Conoco station in Rock Hill about just before 5 p.m. Wednesday evening.

The suspect was identified as Kevin Worley, 25. Police had been looking for Worley after Rock Hill police say he invaded a woman’s home, threatened her with a gun and demanded her car keys.

Wednesday night, the suspect's father called News 4 saying he believes Kevin Worley was suffering from a mental breakdown and police knew it.

Customers at the Conoco gas station where Worley was shot told News 4 that Worley’s picture was behind the registers, and employees were told to call 911 if he showed up. Police spotted Worley and surrounded him at the gas station. According to witnesses, officers warned him multiple times.

“They gave him a lot of warnings,” said one witness.

“He (an officer) advised the suspect to pull his hands out, and when he did he pulled out a weapon,” said Officer Randy Vaughn with the St. Louis County Police Department.

Witnesses said police had been near the gas station all day. “I know earlier today there was a detective sitting here when I was getting gas like they knew he was going to show up here,” said one witness.

People who knew Worley say they believe he may have come to the station Wednesday to possibly rob the station or shoot someone. He was the sole suspect in a burglary in Franklin County just last week. The sheriff said Worley allegedly stole a handgun and a shotgun from his brother.

Friends of Worley also say he was at the end of his rope. He was reportedly a single father and had recently lost his job. His friends think the mounting pressure had proven too much. Worley’s father, Reverend Steve Robinson-Worley, says there’s a lot of truth to that.

Reverend Worley called the News 4 newsroom Wednesday. He said he believed Kevin was going through a mental breakdown. Reverend Worley added that when he last saw his son Monday, he was emaciated and talking about the end of the world. He said Kevin could not hold food down and had not eaten in days. He also said Kevin had been acting like a teenager, looking disheveled and saying the world was going to blow up in December. Worley said he told police this information Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

St. Louis County police are now picking up the rest of this investigation.