Troy man arrested after tear gas ends 14-hour standoff


by Staff

Posted on March 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 4 at 1:39 PM

( – An armed man surrendered after barricaded himself inside a Metro-East home for more than 12 hours following an attempted suicide Monday morning.   

Police say they received a report of a suicidal man locked in his residence in the 520 block of Woodthrush Street near Red Bird Street shortly before 10 a.m.

Residents on the same street said they were approached by police and told to evacuate. The resident who spoke with the suspect’s friend said the 42-year-old male suspect kept saying he was, “going out with a bang.”

Officers from the Troy Police Department, Sheriff’s Deputies, Illinois State Police and the SWAT tactical team responded to the scene. A robotic camera was used to get an inside visual on the suspect.

Police say the man talked with on-scene negotiators for several hours but all communication stopped around 1:45 a.m. Tuesday. Authorities say CS gas was then administered into the home. This gas acts as an irritant, causing discomfort to those in the vicinity.

Around 2 a.m. officers were able to safely enter the home where they found the suspect suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest. Police believe he shot himself before authorities arrived on scene Monday morning.

Residents were forced to stay out of their homes from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Tuesday morning.
The suspect’s friends say he got a DUI Saturday night and police officers were “rough on him.” He reportedly had been upset about it since. However, Troy police say if that happened, it didn’t happen in their jurisdiction as they have no reports of it.

According to neighbors, the suspect is a quiet man who doesn’t cause trouble. He reportedly lives with a girlfriend and his young daughter. They were seen going into the mobile command post on scene.  

The suspect was taken to an area hospital where he was then airlifted to a St. Louis hospital for treatment. No word on his condition at this time.

The investigation as to what started the standoff is still underway.