MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Ill. (KMOV) –A holiday toy drive has been set up for the children of an Illinois State Police officer who was struck and killed by a semi truck during a traffic stop on Interstate 55 on Monday.
Kyle Deatherage was conducting a traffic stop on I-55 when he was struck by a tractor trailer semi-truck. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Deatherage, 32, recently transferred divisions to spend more time with his family. He lived in St. Jacob with his wife, Sarah, and two children, 4-year-old Kaylee and 10-month-old Camden.
Authorities have organized an effort to collect gifts so Kaylee and Camden have something to open up during the holidays
Anyone wanting to donate to the children can drop gifts off at the following locations in Illinois and Missouri:
- Alton Police Department (Illinois)
- Collinsville Police Department (Illinois)
- Madison County Sheriff’s Department (Illinois)
- Overland Police Department (Missouri)
- Des Peres Department of Public Safety (Missouri)
- Eureka Police Department (Missouri)
- Missouri State Highway Patrol Troop C
Visitation for Deatherage will be held Friday from 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Triad High School, located at 703 East Highway 40.
The funeral will be held at the school on Saturday at 10 a.m.