Father seeks answers after woman killed in hit-and-run wreck in Metro East


by KMOV.com staff


Posted on June 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Updated Monday, Jun 9 at 4:30 PM

Fatal hit-and-run

View larger map

(KMOV) – The father of a woman killed in an apparent hit-and-run wreck in Breese, Ill. early Sunday morning says his family continues to seek answers in the case.

Authorities say 23-year-old Lana Albert was walking in the middle lane of northbound Old US 50 west of Breese, Ill. around 2:15 a.m. when she was struck by a vehicle.

Download KMOV News app:  iPhone  |  Android

Police responded to the scene and found a shoe in the street and Albert on the side of the road. She was pronounced dead at the scene. An autopsy later showed she suffered major trauma to her chest and a broken neck.

According to police, Albert had been with friends at Big Stix Sports Bar and Grill earlier in the night. Her body was found between 250 and 300 yards from the bar.

Police have not released a description of a suspect or vehicle.

Albert’s father, Ray Albert, tells News 4 his daughter was living in Edwardsville working as a dental assistant. She was originally from Odin, Ill.

Police say Albert did not have an argument with her friends that would have led to her walking alone.

“No one right knows why she left the club or why she was on the highway,” an emotional Ray Albert said. “We just don’t know and that’s why I’m reaching out to the public.”

Ray Albert says his family is not looking for vengeance.

“We’re not looking for retribution,” he said, “we are just looking to find out what happened to our baby girl that we miss already.”

Albert’s father tells News 4 he never imagined going through such a tragedy.

“For her to do what she did to put herself in this situation just boggles our minds and we can’t wrap our heads around it,” he said. “

Visitation for Albert will be held Thursday from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. at City Hope Church in Centralia. The funeral will take place Friday at 11 a.m. at City Hope Church in Centralia.

“Even after the services, the funeral and visitation and all. Until we know exactly what happened to her that night, we’ll never have closure. Ever,” said Ray Albert.

“My family and I, we’d give anything to see her, hug her again and just tell her how much we love her.”