5 shot, 12 arrested in St. Louis area after Sharpton urges calm


by Stephanie Baumer / KMOV.com staff


Posted on August 13, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Updated Wednesday, Aug 13 at 11:24 AM

5 injured in separate overnight incidents

View larger map

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Five people were shot and 12 arrested during an evening of unrest in St. Louis Tuesday night.

According to police, there was a protest after Rev. Al Sharpton held a meeting a local church where he urged for calm in the aftermath Michael Brown killing. Police say the protest was held at the Ferguson QuikTrip which was looted and burned down Sunday night. Police noted the protest was “fine and peaceful.”

During the protest at QuikTrip, a second crowd began gathering near W. Florissant and Chambers where police reported people were throwing rocks.   

Tear gas was used against protesters in the area, police say.

Police say they arrested 12 people for assaulting an officer by throwing rocks and a failure to disperse after the rallies. 

At 10:08 p.m. Tuesday, unknown suspects fired upon two people in the 1500 block of Biddle in north St. Louis. A 20-year-old was shot in the leg and an 18-year-old was twice, once in the shoulder and another to the side, both are listed in stable, serious condition, police say.

Less than 10 minutes later, police were called to the intersection of Oakcrest and McLaran in Jennings where one person was shot. Police said an unknown suspect fired nine shots at the victim, hitting the victim once. According to police, the suspect was last seen jumping into a car and driving off in a red Sedan southbound on McLaran.

Around midnight, a woman was shot in the middle of her forehead on Highmont and W. Florissant in Ferguson. Police said the shooter used a low caliber bullet which became lodged in her head. According to police, the woman was talking when she was transported to an area hospital, she is expected to survive. Witnesses told police they saw five men running away from the scene.

An officer-involved shooting left a man in critical condition around 1:00 a.m. near the intersection of Chambers and Sheffingdell. According to police, officers confronted a person who was fleeing an area where police had reports of shots being fired. Police say the person pulled a handgun and, fearing for his life, the officer shot the man.

No other details were available.